Friday, October 21, 2005

SAYING NO

it's been a crap week at work.

the client is demanding unrealistic turnaround and my company wants me to refuse. that's fine if not for the fact that i suck-ass at saying no. the most difficult part of this situation is that we've allowed this particular client to make outrageous demands of us in the past and we've complied. how do u revoke that? the client doesn't really care, nor should they, that u'r work load has doubled and u'r staff has been halved so how do u explain why u can no longer provide the service that they've come to expect? the clients perspective of the company should remain consistent. how do i maintain a "steady and cordial relationship that we can control and manage" when we've always just bent over?

story of my fuckin life!

why is it so difficult to say no? not just at work but the rest of my life too. i've said no so many few times that sometimes the people around me forget to ask, they just demand. have i lost the right to be upset because i wouldn't say no any way? it's a lose/lose. if i say no, there's the eternal damnation of guilt. if i say yes - well i'm just beatin myself up for not saying no.

i think it's the disappointment. not just at me but in general. why disappoint if u can avoid it and at such little cost? but how do u measure the cost of going out of your way? it all adds up and it just gets overwhelming. so overwhelming, in fact, that i just shut down completely and we all know how viscous that cycle can get.

so how do i keep up? with my clients, my co-workers, my family, my friends?

does the inability to say no make me a better service provider, co-worker, daughter or friend? it's the inability to not shut down that's the problem - what if that weren't an issue?

does my reaction to menial requests make me any more or less of person?

what if it made me less me?

1 Comments:

Blogger Brand New W said...

i know what you mean. i too have the same problem with saying No but am trying to better myself at it. Ultimately, you should do what's best for you.

10:22 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home