Sunday, October 17, 2004

ASIAN-PHILES SUCK!

i've been dabbling at internet dating - well, the actual goin on a date has yet to happen. i'm not quite hopeful or expectant - i guess if anything comes of, it i'll just be happily surprised.

i'm on a coupla sites, i've posted my picture at last. i've always had a paranoid-thing 'bout havin my pictures online but i'm beginning to come around. i still don't like it, but i'm givin it a try.

there's been a slew of really old people soliciting me, old like 40's, 50's and into the 60's. i think there was one guy that was 70. nothing has been sparking any kind of interest, anyway.
so yesterday, i'm goin through my messages - i find this:

I keep getting this update stuff from the personals................ and none of them really interest me until I saw your ad. I do not have an ad running on this system as I was not really interested in doing this. My sister in laws friend convinced me to try this thing. My sister in law is from Shenzhen China....... I was wondering where you were originally from? Ok, a little of who I am. I am 37 years of age, and I know under your height maybe you are looking for someone under 6 feet tall. ........... sigh .... ..... sad...... I am 6'1 and keep myself in good shape. I could always crouch down to the level you want.. ..... I have short brown hair, and I have brown eyes. I am clean cut, good looking etc..... I have learned some Chinese language, so I can speak some Chinese. Imagine that......... a white guy speaking Chinese. Mandarin to be exact. I work in a career that I love. I have been a corrections officer for the past 8 years, and have really enjoyed every part of it. Well......... maybe except for the paper work. And the fact that it takes me an hour to drive to work. I live in Horshoebay, and I love the ocean. Anything to do with the ocean is where you will find me. Either on top water sking, or deep under scuba diving. Well, the person I am looking .........hmmmmmmmm not that picky really. If I could have the same kind of relationship as my parents have had. They have been happily married for over 50 years now. If I could have that......... I'd be very very happy. They love each other today just as much as the day they married. We are a pretty close family. I have two older brothers, and one older sister....... yes, I am the youngest......(not the baby) of the family. Have you ever been to Horshoebay? Well,........ I think I will keep it at that. I hope to hear from you. Take care. By. David. Ps. I do have a picture I can send to you.

i've gotten a few opinions - there is nothing in my profile that suggests i am from anywhere but here. my english comes across fluent enough and nothing screams culturally different. there's heavy emphasis in my profile 'bout likin fun, being a big kid and reading comics. this guy obviously missed all this.

when he sez that he's learned some chinese language so he can speak some chinese makes me think that he can say hi and thank you. the crouching down to my level thing makes me wretch and he HAD to underscore it with not 1 but 2 :- ) oh and i hate people who tell me they're good lookin. there's a picture, i have eyes. tellin me what to think changes changes nothing and now i think u'r full of yerself. and what's with the, dare i call 'em, ellipsis?!? i use 'em too but what he was doin was almost obscene! i'm usually pretty forgivin of this kind of stuff - i'm obviously not a stickler for perfection in the use of language but he was never really on my good side to begin with.

all i gotta say is: freud would have things to say 'bout u buddy! u'r not picky, u just want a relationship like yer parents?!? uh-huh.

i didn't delete the message, i'm not sure if i wanna respond to this at all. i mean what do u say? nothin in his email appealed to anything in my profile. i was screamin for big fun and he responds with come sit on my lap my pretty asian geisha. me white man, like asian. u asian. i like.

yes...*sigh* u r sad but not because u'r 6'1 and no worries, u'r already well below the level i want!

here's how janet responds, if i wanted to be mean:

Look buddy, I don't know why you think I'm an Asian immigrant, but if you do, you're wrong. I was born in Vancouver. Did you read the grammatically correct English in my profile and think to yourself, "This girl has to be from another country"? Or was it the black hair and yellow skin that made you think that?

You asked me to "imagine" a white guy who can speak Chinese - that's great, and I'm happy for you. But something that seems to be outside the realm of YOUR imagination is this: I'm a female of Asian descent who can speak perfect English and I'm looking for someone who is interested in finding more about me, not about my background. So, if you need to find someone whose level you need to crouch down to, you'd better keep moving along, because I'm not the girl you're looking for.

if i wanted to be civil:

I wasn't going to respond to this at first, because, to be honest, your email put me off. It sounds like you assumed that I immigrated here from somewhere in Asia. This assumption is incorrect. You asked me where I'm originally from - here goes: Vancouver. Does that surprise you? I was born here. I don't know why you thought I wasn't, but my conjecture is that you saw black hair and yellow skin, thought of your sister-in-law, and figured that if I looked Asian, I must not be a Canadian native. You were wrong.

As a corrections officer, have you ever assumed that people with different skin colours might actually be from Canada? Have you assumed that people are not Canadian before just because they're not white?

You then went on to share information about the Chinese you speak although you have no idea whether or not I am Chinese. If my background was Chinese, how would you know that I speak it? Do all fifth-generation Canadians of German descent speak German?

In short, I found your message rife with assumptions about me, simply because of my Asian colouring. I wish you the best of luck in finding a partner, but please do not email me again. I don't think continuing this exchange would be fun for either of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home